Wish Fulfillment Zone - Fringe Board
Hello ! Welcome on WFZ Fringe, a board where you can find News, Reviews, Spoilers, Pictures, Art, Fanfics, Games on the TV Show Fringe and much more !

About 112 members, 874 topics, 37991 posts since Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:28 pm

Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Help & Suggestions Section, in the Guest thread !
Hello ! Welcome on WFZ Fringe, a board where you can find News, Reviews, Spoilers, Pictures, Art, Fanfics, Games on the TV Show Fringe and much more !

About 112 members, 874 topics, 37991 posts since Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:28 pm

Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Help & Suggestions Section, in the Guest thread !
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Wishful Thinking Fringe Community... | ˙˙˙ʎʇıunɯɯoɔ ǝƃuıɹɟ ƃuıʞuıɥʇ ןnɟɥsıʍ ɐ

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Season 10
2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Elliot Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:13 am

» Sleepy Hollow Premiere tonight!
2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Elliot Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:19 pm

» Sleepy Hollow finale--what are your expectations?
2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Elliot Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:29 am

» Early winter finale...harrumph!
2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Elliot Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:17 pm

» John Noble' Henry Parrish to return!
2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Elliot Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:21 am

» What every TV show can learn from Sleepy Hollow
2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Elliot Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:00 am

» Comparing Orci/Kurtzman to JJAbrams: Sleepy Hollow & Almost Human
2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Elliot Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:24 am

» 5x01 advance review (not spoilery)
2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Elliot Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:44 pm

» 4x07 "Wallflower" - SPOILERS
2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Elliot Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:46 am

» 4x05 "Novation" - SPOILERS
2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeby Alice8433 Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:45 pm

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

LINK US !

Photobucket

2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews

Go down 
+2
Blue Sunflower
Elliot
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
jade86
Seeing the Shadow Man
jade86

Female

2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 4:48 pm

Elliot wrote:
Yes, they are--and must be, for all kinds of reasons. But it's good to have it re-stated; thank you!

I'm doing a mini-rewatch, snippets of each episode from the dvd's each evening; last night I saw the airplane ride back from Iraq, where Peter asks Olivia 'you're telling me my father was Dr. Frankenstein?!?'------and she doesn't answer in words, but their faces are eloquent: that is exactly what she is telling him, and on some level he gets it.

Good point smile
Back to top Go down
lezario
Wearing MIT shirt
lezario

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 4:57 pm

Just like Buffy, she has a Slayer's strenght, but that's not what saved her so many times. Mostly because she was a woman, human, no demon or "divine" power, and she had good friends.
Back to top Go down
Elliot
Seeing the man from the other side
Elliot

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 6:03 pm

Right! Joss gets it.
She expressly refused the demon power at the end, to save the world by, because it would have made her less human.

It's also the thing that made those goofy Hughes movies so worth watching. Here's a quote on them that I think fits:
Quote :
Since the 1980s, we have become masters of creating mythic gods out of anchormen, actors and politicians -- and that can be completely disempowering for the rest of us. What Hughes films all do is remind the world that mere mortals also have intrinsic value.

While Hughes' works were marketed as one-off parables about teenage angst, they really comprise a single catalogue extolling something bigger -- something that today's infotainment teaches us to ignore: the intrinsic worth of the regular person.

Hughes made films whose paladins weren't aristocratic perfectionists, but working-class and decidedly flawed commoners. Even when Hughes went sitcom conventional with "Shes Having a Baby" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," he still produced plots forcing picket-fence protagonists to make do with -- rather than magically transcend -- their weaknesses.
Back to top Go down
Blue Sunflower
Looking for an apartment
Blue Sunflower

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 1:38 am

Cathy904 wrote:
You went into overdrive slamming how long they took to get to the 'science', but, hey, they can also set the mood and take 20 minutes to do it.
Don't blame me, blame Fringe. I told you the episode was a crapfest.

Quote :
Olivia is a woman and a Superwoman, Jeff Pinkner says she is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLGvA0muZec She's shown fear, tears, courage, and humor since the Pilot. Olivia fans like me have looked for a female lead like her for a long time.

This makes Peter fans crazy.
The reason this Peter fan doesn't warm to Olivia has nothing to do with Peter. It has everything to do with Olivia being boring. There have been strong female leads before, off-the-top-of-my-head includes Buffy Summers and Sydney Bristow, who were Superwomen, and yet still interesting. Olivia's had practically little to no character growth, which doesn't help either. If I took "Jacksonville" Olivia and inserted her into the Pilot, you'd never really be able to tell the difference. Not so for Peter.

Anna's also really not an actress who can anchor a show. At least with Kate on Lost, they recognized Evi's inability to lead, and bumped up Matthew's postion because of it (he was supposed to be killed off; Kate was supposed to anchor the show).

Quote :
Cut it in half...
Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. I'm too much of a blowhard. As popular (and fun) as these things usually are, they're really tough to do. I eventually just got too tired of writing this stuff, so that's why I gave it up. It's easier to talk about facts, like ratings and science, than it is to put into words what I'm thinking about an episode.

We had this really popular thing at our forum (since we were all Television Without Pity rejects, and that's the model of my recap basically), where people signed up in advance for an episode to do a snarky recap. It went really well and got us a lot of attention (not as much as spoilers, which got us into the media, but that's another story), as well as fan participation.

There's a reason why it's the recaps at TWoP and not the forums that make it one of the largest TV fan sites, as well as something Bravo desperately gobbled up in order to put their articles on MSN and Yahoo News.

Anyway, thanks for reading it!
Back to top Go down
lezario
Wearing MIT shirt
lezario

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 9:42 am

Quote :
crapfest

Watch your words, please.
Back to top Go down
Elliot
Elliot

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 10:49 am

Wow. I have to say, as well, choose your words more carefully.

And I really have to defend Anna. You see her in flirty scenes like the opening to Jacksonville, or the way she was in the pilot and often in S1, you can't say Anna is herself cold or Olivia is either... not all the time. I think it's writing/directing choices, and they seem to be changing up.

Sydney I found boring (too super) and Buffy was allowed more human range though she got whiney... inevitably male writers are going to have some difficulty depicting women's emotions.

I'm as cranky a feminist as they get, but even I see light and growth in Olivia. I'm excited to see her and Peter develop their relationship, and happy the writers are finally allowing that to bloom.
Back to top Go down
lezario
Wearing MIT shirt
lezario

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 12:29 pm

I like cold.
Back to top Go down
Cathy904
Unearthed Rank
Cathy904

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 4:03 pm

Excellent, this is a very active, and interesting thread!

Thanks, Blue Sunflower, for taking my opinions, and opening up the chat for others who have very strong feelings about Olivia and Peter.

I guess I should have included in there that I consider Olivia and Peter to be equals.

He doesn't have to turn lights off with his mind (although there's still plenty who think he assisted her, 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 815536 ). And there's still time and opportunity to see if Peter exhibits paranormal abilities.

But thanks everyone, for the lively conversation. I don't think we have to agree to have fun and enjoy each other's company.
Back to top Go down
lezario
Wearing MIT shirt
lezario

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 6:38 pm

He glows.

She turns off lights with her mind.

She can turn him off/on.

I know, I know.
Back to top Go down
Elliot
Elliot

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 7:00 pm

2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Tickets_badlez-2

And yes, this is grand to have lots of different opinions and views, c'mon in, the water's fine! We don't have to agree with each other, it's good to explore ideas.
Back to top Go down
Blue Sunflower
Looking for an apartment
Blue Sunflower

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 7:38 pm

Cathy904 wrote:
Thanks, Blue Sunflower, for taking my opinions, and opening up the chat for others who have very strong feelings about Olivia and Peter.
You're welcome.

Quote :
I guess I should have included in there that I consider Olivia and Peter to be equals.
I would consider them equals too - within context on the show. But writing wise? Not so much.
Back to top Go down
Blue Sunflower
Looking for an apartment
Blue Sunflower

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 5:44 am

Fringepodcast.
Back to top Go down
Elliot
Elliot

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 7:41 am

Review/Recap of Jacksonville

Quote :
Well, we asked for it, and we got it. A few big reveals -- or not --
about the alternate universe and Olivia's part in it. Big episode of 'Fringe' tonight, with lots of things coming together. This is the winter finale, and the next episode airs April 1, 2010.

First, how cute was the little girl who played Olive, Olivia's childhood self. According to the 'Fringe' Wiki, that's Ada Breker. . . .

from TvSquad
Back to top Go down
lezario
Wearing MIT shirt
lezario

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:33 am

Quote :
First, how cute was the little girl who played Olive, Olivia's childhood self.

She was cute. grins
Back to top Go down
jade86
Seeing the Shadow Man
jade86

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:37 am

lezario wrote:
Quote :
First, how cute was the little girl who played Olive, Olivia's childhood self.

She was cute. grins

Yeah the little Olive seemed so cute....before she showed her macabre eyes 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 971602
Back to top Go down
lezario
Wearing MIT shirt
lezario

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:39 am

Yes, even a cut/torn eye.... Brrr.
Back to top Go down
Elliot
Elliot

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 4:25 pm

Theory-pie ingredient: was the silver in her eyes the reflection of the silvery creatures she was seeing?

Theory pie ingredient #2 (and this is for Lez who has the screen-capping ability)-I think you could identify what, and likely who, was also there in that scene. At the beginning, when she is saying there's somebody else here, you can see a clear figure zooming past.

To me.... looked like a figure in a trenchcoat.

I've been wondering if tiny Olive was frightened by adult Olivia of the future running around in her head!
Back to top Go down
lezario
Wearing MIT shirt
lezario

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 6:42 pm

There are caps on day dreaming, see if you can find something worthy.
I'll do caps when I'll have the time !
Back to top Go down
Cathy904
Unearthed Rank
Cathy904

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 6:50 pm

Elliot wrote:
Theory-pie ingredient: was the silver in her eyes the reflection of the silvery creatures she was seeing?

Theory pie ingredient #2 (and this is for Lez who has the screen-capping ability)-I think you could identify what, and likely who, was also there in that scene. At the beginning, when she is saying there's somebody else here, you can see a clear figure zooming past.

To me.... looked like a figure in a trenchcoat.

I've been wondering if tiny Olive was frightened by adult Olivia of the future running around in her head!

I'm not just saying this, Elliot, you have some Really Nice ideas. I need to start saving more of the episodes for the frame-by-frame things, especially in a show like this where they plant information (and Dis-information).

And Lez of the screen cap Magic!

Both of ya'll, 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 657808 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 657808 Jade and I are freakin' out a little that it's still Six Weeks Away, :(
Back to top Go down
jade86
Seeing the Shadow Man
jade86

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 6:55 pm

oh god
Back to top Go down
Cathy904
Unearthed Rank
Cathy904

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 7:34 pm

It'll be Okay! We'll console each other!
Back to top Go down
Cathy904
Unearthed Rank
Cathy904

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 7:51 pm

That was a Spooky picture.

Her eyes were black, with silver around the iris.

But there's a flash of a guy in a trenchcoat? Whoa........... That's an excellent explanation, foreshadowing that she can see people from The Other Side. Foreshadowing the end of the show.
Back to top Go down
Elliot
Elliot

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:49 pm

2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 309988 Cathy! 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 297509

I thought (and thanks, Lez I will go there and see what I can find) it looked like Olivia. She's not furtive like that, but translated through drugs and a frightened child's brain...---and if I can't find the figure, I will at least be able to nail down the place on the recording it should appear, so you can look when you have time.

But it could also be who/what was in the scene with the kayak..... that is something I CAN check on, and cap for us, if I find anything.

Theory-pie will help us get through this, too. I'm sure others will have ingredients to share!

Not that I'm letting Cathy off trying some kind of graphics something. It's a different part of the brain to think with, more emotional, and you find out things you weren't aware of, if you're lucky.
Back to top Go down
Elliot
Elliot

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 6:50 am

Silvery-eyed Olive:

2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Th_fr-olivie-pupils

Ghostly Figure & Yellow Orb:

2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Th_fringe-yellowdot-ghostlyfig

--this is at least the third time for the yellow orb...
Back to top Go down
Elliot
Elliot

Female

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 5:45 am

A nice in depth review of Jacksonville:
TV Rewiew: Fringe – "Jacksonville"
Blog critics

Quote :
That’s where it clicked, that’s when I knew we were in for quite a ride, and that’s when I realised that going on a winter hiatus right after such an episode was sheer genius.
http://tinyurl.com/yazujed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews   2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2x14 "Jacksonville" - Reviews
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next